Tuesday 28 April 2009

New Humble Abode



Having missed Saenz Peña and the Chaqueños (the people of Chaco, the province) during my time in Mendoza it really upset me when my housemate Analia told me that she was finding it hard to live with somebody!

She has always lived alone and living in such a small space with someone from a different culture, background and 15 years her senior was proving difficult. I had done everything to try and ease the change- agreeing to her orders; not inviting people to the house; participating in all the household chores (the necessary and un-necessary); splitting supermarket costs; maid costs and tending to the spoilt, over-demanding cat but still she was finding it hard to adapt!
At first the news hit me like a tonne of bricks and although she didn’t expect me to take action I decided that looking for a place of my own would be the best option!
The following morning Claudia accompanied me on a walk around the neighbourhood looking for an apartment. By some miraculous miracle the first apartment we got to was going to be vacated in 4 days! I had a look around, like it very much, got a little thrill of excitement and that was it- it was fate, I had found a new home, the fact that it was un-furnished wasn’t a problem- I had found a place where I could live at my own pace, have my own social life and not be driven up the wall by an ugly black and wining cat!
I moved in 4 days later and co-teachers did everything they could to make me feel at home! Claudia leant me a bed a wardrobe and all sorts of kitchen utensils, her husband talked a friend into lending me a water dispenser with hot and cold water on demand, Araceli leant me a gas oven, the landlady leant me a table and her mother leant me chairs and Noelia, another teacher added to my kitchen utensil collection!
I bought some little bits to make the place a little more comfortable and the essential cockroach and mosquito killer spray and I was ready to rock and roll!
Since living independently my confidence, social life and productivity at work, Spanish and daily activities have hit sky high! I’m glad I shared the period of easing into Saenz Pena with someone but now life, experience and enjoyment have hit another level and there’s no stopping me now!

3 comments:

  1. Aww it looks LOVELY Don!! So happy you found your own little place<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seems to be a good place,
    I hope, you be enjoing yor freedom
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be hard to live with somebody when that is something you are not used to. The good thing, i that Argentina has options for everybody and you will always find an apartment that suits your needs. Last year I travelled with my best friend Ashley and after a month living together, we decided that it was enough, and, even we loved each other, we could not stay living together. We looked together for an apartment for rent buenos aires
    and found a beautiful one near downtown. It ended up being the best trip of our lives.
    Cheers
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete