Tuesday 19 May 2009

Corrientes the 2nd time around



Corrientes is a neighbouring province of Chaco, it lies East of Chaco and the two provinces are separated by the Parana River. I spent a week in Corrientes capital before coming to Saenz Pena and I failed to see the beautiful quaint city that everyone raved about so this time when I arrived in Corrientes I was surprisingly taken by the place! Compared to Saenz Pena it was like a real city, with colonial buildings and cafĂ©’s and chic bars and designer shops- it had everything and a really pleasant ambiance!
Phil (another British Council English assistant who is based in Corrientes) and I spent our time dining in nice restaurants, having nice coffees and browsing in book shops! Whilst Phil taught I browsed the craft market, bought some amazing soft leather Alpargatas (Shoes) and a Mate and sat in under a tree in the Plaza reading my book! It was just what I needed! Although Saenz Pena is small it has a certain hustle and bustle that loves to sweep me off my feet so I was glad to have a breath of fresh air!
Phil and some of his new friends also introduced me to “Costanera del sur” which is a promenade FULL of night clubs. I described it as a “Mini Miami” although I’ve never been to Miami and I was totally blown away. Phil wasn’t so impressed, but he’s a little stubborn princess! Saenz Pena has nothing to compare with Corrientes development wise but the people are friendlier, it’s more inviting and living there has taught me a lot about appreciating what people at home would consider common things!
Just when I thought that Corrientes couldn’t surprise me more in one weekend Phil, his friend Nadia and I were invited to a quinta (country house) 30km East of the Capital. Nadia told us that it was a beautiful house with a private beach on a fresh water lake but nothing could prepare us for the little paradise that we were to encounter! When the Taxi driver went off road, the road got narrower, the dirt turned to the whitest sand and the vegetation got wilder we knew we were approaching our little country retreat!
Sergio, the owner was there to greet us. The dogs and children were running bare footed under the mango trees, along the beach and occasionally stopping to rest in the hammocks and have a tinkle on the guitar! We took a big deep breath of fresh air. It felt soooooo good! It was so good that when we were invited to come back the following day we decided that we’d ditch the ideas we had of going to Reseva Provincial Esteros del Ibera and come back to the 100% pure honey, Senor Pompas (the new puppy) and tranquillity.

No comments:

Post a Comment